View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

'Informal Recruitment'?

Hello,

I'm currently a freshmen at Penn State. I didn't participate in Fall Formal Recruitment because I didn't think I would have enough time, since I'm studying engineering, and because I had some misconceptions about what sororities are like. I would like to join one now

I was under the impression that I'd have to wait until next Fall to rush and try my chances as a Sophomore. Our Panhellenic does a Spring Informal Recruitment, but typically only 2-3 sororities participate out of 18 chapters and 3 associate chapters, those that didn't get enough accepted bids in the Fall. However, this year I have been hearing talk about how nearly all the sororities are participating in Spring Informal this year, something about how a new sorority on campus has so much more members than everyone else, so the other chapters need to bulk up numbers.

Panhellenic hasn't released the specific chapters participating yet, it should be out sometime this month. If the chapters I'm interested in are all participating, I'd like to rush next semester and if not I'll wait till Fall. Do you ladies have any tips about how to handle an Informal Recruitment? Would rushing as a second semester Freshman better my chances than rushing as a Sophomore? I've only ever heard advice about Formal, and Panhellenic doesn't have any information on their website since we don't usually do Spring Recruitment here.

Thanks for reading!