Thread: Too Many Recs?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
I wish your daughter the best - there are lot of threads on here about SEC rush - not sure if you're familiar with SEC schools (you mention "shipping our baby too far away) or if your sister was at an SEC school, but it's a whole different animal than any other region, so those threads will be really valuable.

Also there some great threads of sticking it out through the whole process since rush can be tough and challenging. You'll read plenty of threads about girls who were unsure of the house they were bid to, but wound up loving it.

I hope you'll come back and update us this fall - and good luck to you as well - I know rush can be tough on moms too!
I'm pretty familiar with how crazy SEC recruitment can be. I actually grew up a few hours from the school she is going to, and have heard the horror stories. My husband and I went to an ACC school in our home state, and my sister went to a LAC in the north, though, so we haven't lived it yet. We moved out west a couple of years ago, so it feels like we're shipping her too far away, even though she will have family within a few hours driving time, and friends at the school with her.

So far, she seems to be pretty laid back about the actual recruitment part. She really just wants to make friends and have fun. She knows that there's a lot that she can't control, and while I'd say she's equal to what everyone describes as a good candidate as far as looks, grades, activities and volunteerism goes, she has a couple of things that might be held against her, so she's prepared for that too.

I will definitely come back and let you know how it goes in the fall. She's nervous and excited and honestly ready for summer to be over. Me? I wish it would slow down. I've read a couple of threads suggesting a lot of wine, and I think I'm gonna need it from the moment we leave her at school, not just through recruitment.

Thanks!