View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi all, apparently it's been three years since I last logged in. Anyway, wanted to chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I attended my convention last year. Do we have some chapters that may put more of an emphasis on looks? Sure. But that's not a directive from our organization's leadership. And one of those chapters you could argue were the super pretty ones also took home one of our most highly-regarded awards that a chapter can receive, so...
This makes sense to me even/especially in a values-based recruitment system, though. Often the strongest chapters that have their absolute pick of recruits (let's suspend real life for a second and just do the logic game part of this) will be able to narrow down a pool of PNMs by ALL the important factors like personality, grades, involvement, leadership, kindness, etc. and STILL have more PNMs than they can take. For those chapters, even if looks are dead last on their recruitment criteria, if the PNM pool is big enough then they'll probably still wind up with a bunch of gorgeous girls.

It seems to me that recruiting primarily for looks is kind of like when animals in nature mimic the appearance of a poisonous cousin. They're taking advantage of our pre-conceived notions of what strong chapters look like based on the most cursory of reviews, and mimicking it superficially.