View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

The virtual recruitment experience at my chapter was overall pretty positive. Everyone practiced their Zoom set-ups in advance so tech issues were minimized. The actives really enjoyed getting to focus on one-on-one and small group conversations with PNM's, instead of spending so many hours making balloon arches, practicing songs, and flipping the house between rounds. I worried that my chapter, and the others on campus who opted to do 100% virtual, would be at a disadvantage when compared with the chapters who opted to do in-person Preference (all other rounds were virtual for all chapters). But every chapter made quota, and many chapters had quota additions, mine included. We had a "summer camp" Bid Day theme, which included games and a campfire on the back patio with burgers, hot dogs and s'mores. Everyone was able to mask up and socially distance in the back yard.

As BBH noted, the biggest difference/issue was a significant decrease in the number of women who signed up for recruitment (25% fewer, in fact). This was attributed to decreased enrollment for the Fall semester and a healthy percentage of students opting to do classes online from home. I've been told that a larger percentage of women dropped right before Preference than in years past. Some women just weren't ready to commit to a chapter until they could spend more time seeing them up close and personal. I imagine general COVID concerns that the campus might have to close and send students home mid-semester was also on the minds of some parents. The end result is that quota was 40% lower this year than last year. NPC has advised that campus total should be set at the same number as it was in Fall 2019. Even with the quota additions, the lower quota means that all but one sorority on campus is under campus total. Most of the chapters are doing COB and holding small events outdoors and online this week and next. I won't be surprised if there ends up being greater interest and participation in informal recruitment come January, after all the new students have had time to adapt to their new normal.