View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Ok...I’m genuinely curious here- as a complete outsider to this type of system. (My sorority is non selective; therefore our “selection” process is completely public.)

If a confused freshman comes here and asks why she wasn’t selected, everyone says, that’s membership selection information, which is private and ritual. It seems to be taken very seriously, so I’m surprised that organizations don’t already have these types of agreements. Granted, I didn’t read the entire agreement (and I’m not a legal person anyway), but what’s the issue? Wouldn’t it be good to have this type of agreement because you don’t want people discussing membership selection?
If you look at 19th century fraternal organizations' rituals which are out there, they tend to have a component wherein the new initiate promises/swears/vows not to divulge ritual, which includes membership selection. It wasn't a legally enforceable agreement, at least to the best of my knowledge, but instead relied on the integrity of the person being initiated. With the advent of the internet, you had former members and malcontents posting ritual, but there's a catch 22 for any group in confronting that information - if they were to sue, 1. it would cost a lot of money and 2. it would confirm the validity of the information. GLOS have wisely, in my opinion, basically ignored internet postings of supposedly secret information.

The issue with Alpha Phi goes back to the release of membership selection information which appeared to be valid, and the HQ response.