View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! I’m very familiar with that campus. It’s very competitive but not quite Arkansas / Ole Miss competitive. All chapters are strong and thriving and it will be to your benefit to be open to EVERY chapter on campus! Cannot stress that enough. You will have a very tough rush if you get attached to a few select chapters.

1. Your year is based on class credits. So if you are a sophomore based on credits, make sure you put Class of ‘2024 / Sophomore on EVERYTHING - Rec packets, Registration form, etc.

2. There is an Upperclassmen quota so you are not “competing” with freshmen for the same spots. All houses take sophomores; it’s more difficult after that.

3. Control what you can control:
* Freshman GPA - the higher, the more options you will have. 3.6+ *should* keep you out of grade risk territory coming from a community college.

* Get Recs! People who know you are 100x better than a random one. Work all your connections!! Teachers, neighbors, friends parents, your parents’ friends, friends who went to Panhellenic campuses their freshmen year, families you babysat for, etc. If you find one, keep going - “ hi Mrs. DG, I’m still looking for a ZTA and KKG rec, do you know any of their alumnae that I might also know from our high school / church / town”?

* Make sure to include all of your high school accomplishments on your registration form & in your Rec packets. Sometimes upperclassmen only include their freshman’s year activities and miss out on the chance to highlight the leadership positions, honors, awards, community service, etc from high school.

* Attend T Camp (Transfer Camp). The earliest session should have some Greek women serving as counselors. This is a GREAT way for PNM’s with no connections to make some! Mention to everyone you meet there that you’re rushing- you never know who has a roommate, sibling, etc that is Greek and they will want to tell their Greek friends about this awesome Chicago girl going through rush. Cannot tell you how many of our actives come back from being Fish Camp / T Camp counselors with “rush crushes”.

Good luck!!