View Single Post
Old 05-04-2023, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeklifegogree View Post
I rushed at a fairly large southern school. After the first round I was cut by 60% of the chapters. I still had my two favorites who were mid tier, the two least desired houses on campus, and one mid tier house I didn't like. The girls I talked to in my rush group all had a lot more houses than I did so I was scared.

In my nervous state I was at the mid tier house I didn't like and the girl I was speaking with was mentioning other ways girls in her house volunteer she mentioned one that was a sensitive topic for me because it impacted a family member. I started to cry. I was fighting the tears back in my eyes, but I was getting really choked up and doing that thing when you try to talk through crying and your breathing gets heavy and words aren't coming out right. This couldn't possibly have lasted more than a minute, but the girl I was talking to flagged down one of the floaters and switched out. I apologized for crying and explained that I was overwhelmed and that it was such a sensitive topic for me. I knew I messed up and expected to get cut from that house.

When round three invites came I was cut by all except the two least desirable houses on campus. It occurred to me that I might have been cut from my two favorites because I cried in the one house. I know what I did was odd I just hope people can have sympathy for an 18 year old girl who is away from home the first home and was told by more than half the houses on campus day one that they didn't want her. Obviously there could have been a million reasons why I was cut from those two houses other than this. It just makes me so mad at myself that I did this and hurt my chances.

I eventually joined one of the houses I still had, but it was a weak chapter and was closed by nationals a year after I joined.

At your school if you found out a girl had cried at another house would you cut her? Would people even talk like that between houses? I know word probably spreads like "did you hear a girl cried at XYZ house", but would you then ask the PNMs name and get her cut from your house?

Honestly at my chapter, we'd have gotten her a glass of water and a box of tissues. PNMs cry during recruitment for a variety of reason especially by the time Preference arrives.

Recruitment (Rush) in the 1980's was stressful enough at my school because we don't have a row and the chapter houses are about a mile away from campus. Plus they're not in walking distance from each other, so there was always a carpool or two of PNMs who had trouble finding a parking spot or got lost in the 20 minute allotted travel time between parties.

We just rolled with it and got on with the business of recruiting members.