View Single Post
Old 07-29-2023, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
First: I am not in the kind of GLO that you are in, so I cannot speak specifically to an NPC sorority experience. But I feel somewhat moved to respond.

You have the right to feel about your organization how you feel about it at any given moment. There will be times that you are all in and there will be times that you don't care what happens to it. Perhaps you may never care again.

I have some queries for you to ponder. You don't have to answer.

Did your organization ever sell itself as a legacy club or otherwise guarantee that your daughters would have a fair chance, or even a fighting chance? Or is that a belief that you held that really has no origin besides hopes that became your reality? [This has happened to me when joining a fraternal organization.]

Has the organization remained consistent in what its mission or purpose is? I imagine that most haven't changed fundamentally, such as doing good work in the community with friends.

I see and hear various complaints about NPC sorority councils (I presume this is synonymous with Executive Boards). Are these women not elected by the body (national convention)? Are they not democratically accountable to anyone? If your voice is not at the table, is there not a way to make it so? (Alumnae chapter leadership?)

I do not know the voting delegate structure of most NPC organizations, or whether some have more collegiate voice than alumnae voice. (NPHC organizations are overwhelmingly the alumni voice, while APO is primarily a collegiate voice)

All in all, what I'm trying to say is this: It's fine to feel hurt, and then numb. But I also think there is a time to engage and lodge the complaints. Not by withholding dues or donations, or even letters to leadership. (And not by social media quibbles and spats, which a lot of people believe is action.) But to be engaged in the democratic process in-person until THAT process doesn't work anymore.

Good luck to you.

I'll note my organization is among those that used to offer a second look to legacies, and has (hypocritically, IMNSHO) formally changed that policy. However, even our national president publicly celebrates legacies in her line and 3- or 4-generation families.

I only know the delegate structure of mine, but there are two categories of alumnae groups, and one doesn't get a vote. That pushes the power to those in/near large cities and sorority hubs. I could probably name the 10-12 universities whose alumnae hold all the power.

Our national organization elects by slating. Our nominating committee is selected from those who know someone. Our advisory boards are composed of people who know someone. That type of system allows a few dozen women to run the organization, pivoting it at will, and such has happened from policies to rituals to governance, with input from a minuscule minority of those in the know.

Our organization has also gotten onto the "woke" bandwagon (I hate that term, but it's one that disgruntled sisters are using). I personally thoroughly approve of efforts to extend equality and opportunity to all women, but to be not only accused of not supporting our Constitution (which is so vague the powers that be can make it mean anything, and refuse to define some terms) but encouraged to report other sisters who don't is contrary to the concepts of sisterhood.

So while I have no position on the concept of legacies being cut, I recognize that's only on paper, and the daughter of friends of the governing board *will not* be cut. And I fully understand an organization over the years becoming something with which alumnae no longer wish to be monetarily affiliated, even if they believe strongly in the underlying principles.