View Single Post
Old 08-12-2023, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I would just think you would displace upperclassman who are scheduled to live in dorms, not freshman. Freshman lose so much from NOT living in dorms. They don't know anybody to get an apartment with. They don't plan on having cars to be able to get groceries, didn't plan on needing cleaning supplies and cooking supplies, etc. They said they are giving them an upgraded meal plan but who is going to wake up in a off campus apartment and go to campus for a meal? The whole meal plan thing is for people who live in the buildings on the campus.

Auburn requires all students to have a meal plan.

Also, Auburn culture is that freshmen live in residence halls, but it's not required for them to - I know quite a few freshmen who bypassed dorms altogether. Exception for upperclassmen would be those who live in sorority dorms - and that is a very small percentage of sorority women.

All that said - it's a pretty yucky situation for the 300 who were slated to live in that dorm. I know the Hill dorm complex demolition process started over the past year, so on campus housing is not what it was just a few years ago. Several apartment complexes were brought on as residence halls to meet the gap.