View Single Post
Old 01-13-2024, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I understand that this situation is unprecedented, but there are a few things that need to be considered. When I was a collegiate member, the families weren’t the big deal that they are now, so I don’t get the concern that this girl join your family. Can you explain it to me? Would she destroy your family if she joined? After all, she is your sister and was deemed worthy as such by the majority of your members. How is she going to take the potential rejection? Might she resign her membership if she doesn’t have a big? Is keeping her out of your family worth that?

In my chapter, if a pledge’s or new initiate’s big graduated or left for some reason, the new initiate typically was “adopted” by another sister. This might have been instigated be either person. When I was a senior, a new initiate asked me to be her big after her original big did not return for the spring semester. I was flattered. We held a candlelight circle and the adopter would blow out the candle and ask the adoptee if she would like to be her little. This would ordinarily only happen for girls without a little sister.
My experience is much the same as FSUZeta states above. Our New Member class was the largest on campus, and several of us had seniors as Big Sisters. We had informal "adoptions" the next year, and all went well.

Let's also remember that NOT having a Big Sister might lead the "orphan" to take a Little Sister.