View Single Post
Old 02-03-2024, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I have an appreciation for all visual art to some degree, not always for the visual aspects of it, but many of them, I respect and appreciate the process.

Also, the first question I ask myself when I see visual art is what is it about? Once I’ve established the content, it’s then when I can consider how the artist has arranged the elements of the piece — the composition. Whether the image is of people, landscape, still life, or abstract. To me, it has to work as an integrated whole, in which the other pictorial qualities such as color, light, and shade also have to play a part.

If I were to pick art or artists that I think are overrated (but not terrible work)…

Andy Warhol — I like his flat, bold color choices, but his work lacks creativity, to me. The images he uses are not his. Reminds me of photoshop art, worked over “ready-made” images.

Nok cultural art — I appreciate the imaginative human and animal forms they did, but their work lacks the idealism I gravitate towards with ceramic sculpture.

Frida Kahlo — I enjoy trying to read her work — trying to figure out what she’s trying to convey. Her work generally tells a story about something that happened in her life, but visually, it doesn’t stop me to come back to it and stare as I walk by.

Vincent Van Gogh — I think he evolved a strikingly original style, in which bold colors and forceful brushstrokes express intense emotions, and I can appreciate how he had a huge influence on modern art. However, I have more of an attraction to realism, which isn’t present in a lot of his work. I’m a huge fan of the Realist movement.

ID (Industrial Design)

Harley Earl — He practically invented the profession of automotive styling. He also introduced art into the mechanics of mass automobile manufacturing, which pretty much changed the game forever. I can appreciate that. But his decision to put tail fins on the 1948 Cadillac kicked off competition among automakers to see who could out-fin each other. I get that during the time (post WWII), it was the jet era, but I don’t like tail fins on cars. Let cars be cars and airplanes be airplanes.

Dick Teague — He styled the AMC Gremlin, AMC Pacer X, and the AMC AMX/3 (the front and tail end are hideous in that car) Those cars alone are enough to tell you why I think he’s overrated. 😂

There are others, but those are just the main ones that come to mind when I’m in discussion with other artists and designers on this topic.

Phroze, I believe the artist you may be referring to is Joan Miro.