View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 09:31 AM

My cousin (from a Penn State obsessed family, as you will find in this neck of the woods) turned down Penn State to go to Westminster (PA), as Westminster gave her practically a free ride and Penn State didn't give her squat.

Re the PA state schools, it hasn't only been the ridiculous building sprees resulting in ridiculous tuition increases, it's also been a diluting of the schools' individuality and unique offerings. It used to be that certain schools were the only ones to offer certain things or be known as good for them. Clarion - library science, Lock Haven - phys ed, IUP - criminology, etc etc. I always thought this was a state enforced thing, but apparently it was just a gentleman's agreement, and gentlemen don't exist anymore. I went to a Clarion alumni thing where they were crowing about the new criminology major, and was just like, why are we doing this? Meanwhile, our communications program, one of the best on the eastern seaboard, had been decimated beyond recognition.

And now Joshie apparently wants to merge all the state schools and community colleges together. 🤬🤬 I give up.