View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I didn’t know about the issues from 2018. I popped in periodically back then, but I didn’t notice anything wrong.
I don't recall how apparent it was to GCers back then. It was basically 6 weeks of web/colo hosting hell for me, though. There was some sort of power issue causing the server to reboot randomly throughout each day. Nearly 100 spontaneous reboots during those 6 weeks. My phone would ping all hours of the day & night. Every single time it happened I had to do some work on the database to check for and fix problems it caused. It was so bad that a few times it happened several times in a row, soon as I checked on and/or fixed things up, it would happen again. For GCers, it would only show that either the forums were temporarily turned off (while I was working on things) or a database error would display on all pages until it was fixed. The datacenter, which was great otherwise, really dropped the ball on all that. Took them 6 weeks after I first notified their support that maybe the PDU power strip in the server rack had some electrical problems. Sure enough that was the exact issue and they could/should have fixed it the first day I reported it.

Quote:
That’d be nice for things to be like they once were, although I know it’s way easier said than done.
Agreed on both of those points. We'll definitely give a good go at it.

Quote:
with the bot traffic, can you still have the anti-bot checks, while keeping GC in the search engine at the same time? Kind of like to verify it’s a real person? It just seems like somewhat of a gamble or trial and error kind of thing. It’s like it won’t allow you to have one thing without the other.
There are various ways of dealing with it. I don't plan on going the 'easy' route that I mentioned, though. If I made GC to be members-only & turned off new user registrations the bots would be blocked from loading so many pages, from creating new accounts, etc, and that would almost immediately fix most of those related issues. Could even put the forums behind an additional login so bots couldn't even repeatedly reload forum pages that simply state they need to login to view. These things would result in most pages eventually dropping out of search engines. GC would probably still have good site traffic if that was the solution used, though. The anti-bot stuff may or may not cause pages to be removed from search engines, just depends on how it's done and which search engine.

There are also other services available now where the site integrates into their system and those companies basically act as a transparent front end of the website. They have varying levels of bot filtering as well. They end up basically being a secondary hosting service adding more costs and the bot filtering improves the more you pay. I wouldn't be opposed to those types of services in the future if it was absolutely necessary.

My main concern related to bots are spam bots that join & spam the site like crazy as well as just too many bots simply reading the site causing slowdowns.

If spam bots stay out and the server can handle the other bot traffic with negligible impact on site speed then I'm all good with that. Some other things that I'll be doing I think should give those results.

Quote:
Do you find it more time consuming and expensive when it’s a lot of people that are posting? Or is it the same, even with the amount of people posting now? I’ve noticed that sometimes the site is slow, sometimes it’s fast.
More people posting and even just reading the site (within max capacity limits) is not a problem at all. It's actually a good 'problem' to have. With some changes that will happen soon I hope to see more people & activity on GC again.

Bots are the problem. Search engine spiders included in that. Sometimes there are just so many that it overwhelms the server. My biggest headache were always the spam bots, really quite exhausing dealing with those when they are a problem. I'm sure many site moderators who've seen those bots at the worst would agree.

Quote:
Well, I’m happy to know you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and are really positive about GC’s future. That’s a plus.

Like you, I think great things are to come for GC. Plus, we’re all here in support of you, John.

Quote:
lol
What? When was that? That must have been before I became a member here. So, I remember when the Greek Chat site I used to post on because of my ethnicity, when that site shut down, when I tried searching for it, this site showed up. But when I’d lurk here, I kept seeing ethnic Greeks being told by mods that they were on the wrong site. That’s hilarious that many of us were using the server, more than GC members were using it. Wow!
Based on your join date, it's possible you were on GC shortly before or not too long after the real-time chat rooms were shut down here. I don't recall exactly when that was, but it may have been sometime around when you joined GC.
^^^ Help Support GC ^^^