View Single Post
Old 07-06-2001, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

My original example was not about an internal applicant because that doesn't emulate the ruch scenario. I would think, that when you graduate, if you're going to interview for jobs, that you would find someone to talk to about the company/culture/position/etc. It only makes good sense. Of course you're not going to discuss other rushees with anyone exceot your sisters/brothers - but why not be able to discuss what YOU know about YOUR org with someone that is interested in joining. Oh yeah, it may very well help you become that highly sought after super salesperson.

Brad

\
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
Getting back to the "job" example: say I interview at Greekchat Inc. and my friend worriedsenior works in the personnel department. Would it be fair of me to ask her to tell me about the other applicants, their chances, or anything her boss said about me? On the other side of the coin, would it be fair for her to pressure me into taking the job because they need a superduper salesperson, which I am, even though she knows I might hate the work environment?

The answer, of course, is no. I wouldn't put that pressure on a friend nor do I think she would put it on me. Since we're not all friends going into rush, that's where the rules come in.

Most of the strictest no contact rules, from what I've seen, take place at schools where the freshmen rush before school even starts. It's not like people have to go a whole year not talking to freshmen. I guess DePauw changed to deferred rush but didn't change the contact rules and everyone complained, and rightly so. Keeping the no contact rules in place defeats the whole purpose of deferred (i.e. to get to know the groups in a more "realistic" environment).