View Single Post
Old 04-30-2001, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I definitely agree with carnation... if you think there's a good chance you'll want to join a sorority, rush your first year, when most other girls do. Just because you go through the rush process does not obligate you to join. If you totally hate it, you can drop out or not accept a bid.

At my collge, it is VERY difficult to get a bid as a sophomore, even if you're friends with lots of members. This year, much fewer than 10% of non-freshman rushees got bids. It just doesn't happen often. My chapter (which usually makes quota) wants new members that will be with us for all four years. We want to give the freshman a chance (the vast majority of rushees are freshman), rather than keeping them out on behalf of older girls who have had that chance before. Any "selective" sorority chapter would rather take younger girls if possible.

What carnation said is true, at least with regard to how rush/voting works in my chapter... if you're a sophomore, even if we love you, you'll probably be at the bottom of the bid list just on the basis of your age.