View Single Post
Old 10-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl

I do agree with what A&As is saying though - on a campus where there is NO shortage of rushees, why are so few groups making quota? That's not a rip on the groups, it's a rip on the system, because obviously you have both parts of the puzzle but somehow they are not fitting together. If it is an issue of rushees saying "I want XYZ or nothing" then the system as a whole has to be marketed differently.

33, that's the puzzle. Especially in the South, rushee numbers are soaring!

I know that part of it is due to rushees who will only consider, say, 2 of 15 sororities. I know maybe 15 college freshmen who dropped out of rush because they didn't like their returns yet the truth was they'd only been cut by 1 or 2 chapters.

The other part seems to be a combination of the newest release figures and overly heavy cutting of PNMs. There are some chapters who are required to cut around 75% of their PNMs after second parties. That can screw up the chapter if many rushees then cut them after third parties. I've heard of at least 3 big-deal sororities on various campuses who cut way more girls than they were required to early on and then were heavily cut by PNMs later on and none of them got anywhere close to quota...whereas any other year, the groups could've taken 20 over quota!

I still feel like the release figures are too harsh. Sororities are having to make decisions too early and worse, if a girl is cut early on by the majority of the sororities, she's likely to drop out of rush.