View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bama_Alumna
I'm going to be honest here and I'll probably get flamed for it, but...

At some chapters at SEC schools, local legacies and recs are held in much higher regard than those from far away. If it's an alum from another school in the same state, it's better than someone from out of state and if it's from someone in the same geographical region (say, the Southeast), it's better than someone further away (say, the Northwest).

This does not hold true for all houses!!!!! But, there are some houses who can make up their entire pledge class from local legacies. It's easier to drop someone who had a rec from an alum that the chapter has never met who lives 2000 miles away than to drop someone whose mother is an active alum from that school and lives 20 miles away.

I can only speak for the U of Alabama and a couple of other similar schools because these are the only rushes I am familiar with. HOWEVER, if you have a rec, send it.... it can't hurt and it could help.
I go to an SEC school, and I agree and disagree. I think that legacies from the same region hold higher, but recs hold about the same. I'm not absolutely sure, but I had a rec written on me to a certain chapter from a woman in the area, and I don't think it helped me any more because it's from the area. The legacy thing, though, is a little touchier of a subject.