Thread: "Forced" prefs?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
This is my understanding of how it should work.

Formal Recruitment: You attend however many pref parties, then you fill out your pref card and sign it. Signing your pref card indicates that you agree to accept a bid from any sorority that you list. If you receive a bid to a group you listed but don't like, you do not have to pledge, but you cannot pledge any other group for 1 calendar year. You can participate in formal rush the next year or in COB rush any time after the one-year period is up.

Snap Bids: If you receive a snap bid at the end of formal rush, from a sorority that was not listed on your pref card, you don't have to accept it. If you don't accept it, the one-year rule does not apply and you can do COB. If you do accept, pledge, then depledge, you are bound to that group for 1 year (I believe it's from the date you pledge, so you'd be able to do FR again the next year).

Informal Recruitment: If you receive a bid after participating in informal recruitment, you don't have to accept it. Again, if you don't accept, the one-year rule does not apply. If you pledge then depledge, you're bound for a year.
This is my understanding, too. I can fully understand making the pnms accept the maximum number of parties - for those of you who doubt the effectiveness of this, one of the happiest New Members on GreekChat had originally cut the sorority to which she has now pledged!

But forcing someone to sign a bid card is absolutely wrong. The pnm should always have the option of accepting no bids, bids only from the groups she lists, or suiciding.