View Single Post
Old 01-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Unregistered-

Re: Alumnae Involvement

Quote:
Originally posted by littlebritches
What activities/how do the alumnae interact/help the collegiates?

Examples would be great.
In my opinion, the most important time for alumnae to support their collegians is during recruitment. When I was a collegian, I always appreciated the alums for being there to prepare beverages/other miscellaneous stuff so that we could be out there rushing the PNMs. Plus, it gave the PNMs the idea that the sorority doesn't end after graduation.

Every semester we also have a little ceremony called "PRESENTS". It's here that the new members are introduced to the campus, other Greeks, the alumnae, and our friends and family. Here, a NM is paired up with an "alum chum"...which is somewhat similar to having a sister-mom. The NM gets showered with little gifts and wise words of encouragement from this alum. Last year, my alum chum was a girl who had graduated from my high school alma mater years after I did. We had that special bond of being Academy girls and now we share another one -- AGD sisterhood!

If you have a Junior Circle organized around you, try getting them involved too! My Junior Circle always does the Living Purpose at each Fireside. After Fireside/Pinning of the Petals/Pass Down/Up gifts, we host a light potluck for the actives and the NMs. IRD during the Spring is always a fun time to interact with the collegians also!

Something the alumnae has always done (since I've been an AGD, anyway) is hosting a scholarship dinner for the chapter each time they reach cumulative chapter GPA of Pi. We've done Mexican meals, Pasta dinners, just to name a few. It's the least we could do for our sisters who Strived for Pi.

At the end of every semester is the Scholarship Auction. We have "Alpha Gam Dollars" that's given to sisters who receive A's and B's on tests, quizzes, and papers. Dollars can also be earned by showing up to study hall (whether it be mandatory or not) and turning in study sheets in time, wearing your letters proudly around campus, and other miscellaneous things the VPS deems necessary. The items auctioned off are items donated by the alums (lotions, used AGD clothing, stationery, etc.)...a bunch of alums usually show up for this, as it's a fun time for everyone young and old(er)!

Those are some of the reasons why I loved the alums as a collegian and why I love being an alum now!

Hope this helps! PM me if you have any questions.