View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Lord allmighty girl, and you're from Ohio? That's a mighty big drive. But last year I went on a trip during spring break from Columbus OH to Civil Rights sites in the south (Atlanta, Selma, Montgomery, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Cincinnati and then home). But I will say that I met the NICEST, most welcoming people in the south. It's a completely different world from the North. People you don't even know will smile and shake your hands and people actually tip their hats! People took time out of their day to sit and talk to us (I was with a group of 9 people from my school) about what it was like during that time period, and how things have changed and haven't changed. We stayed in churches every night, and the congregations let us use their showers and cooked us food and opened their doors to us. (What is more first class accomidation than God's house? we joked).

But at any rate! Alabama is absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous. There are awesome small towns, fields, large cities...it's fantastic. Montgomery is beautiful, I'm trying to land a job at the Southern Poverty Law Center there when I graduate. It's surprising how much slower life seems to move down there, even during a weekday.