View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

EE-BO's post was dead-on! I agree with everything said.

But in response to the OP, I must tell you that in competitive systems, many feel that GDI is better than not getting a top house. Sad, but true - and primarily for the reasons EE-BO stated regarding tradition. In systems where the mom has known for years that the daughter will go through recruitment, built the resume, developed the contacts for recs, etc, those women are well aware of the reputations of those houses. So, in their minds, and ultimately in their daughters' minds, it is one of the top houses or nothing at all. No one entrenched in those systems really believes that they will end up with a lower tier house if they prepare well enough, and see anything less as a failure. It is a real shame.

I do not agree with this line of thinking. Going Greek is what it is all about - a sisterhood, a lifetime of XYZ and all that it brings. This is one of the things I like about GC: the overall message of "go greek" ( not, "go upper tier or go home")supported by lots of stories to back up that premise.