View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
(snip) Also, some schools don't make it clear that the sororities are really in charge of cutting until maybe prefs. The websites say things about when the girls make their selections and don't really talk about how heavy the first cuts are, due to RFM.
THIS! And how many times do we hear girls say "I kept ranking Houses A and B last so why did I get invitations back from them? I don't want them". As if the low ranking meant those houses would drop off their list. I've known less than a handful who 'wrote their own ticket' - like a fantastic girl from Jackson, MS who rushed at Ole Miss where every top and mid tier sorority wanted her. Her final two houses (considered tops per campus reputation) were in a dog fight for her. I think the language used when I rushed (late 70's) made it clear we weren't choosing, the sororities were (except maybe at pref) because I never once thought I got to pick. I knew I'd be fortunate to have a house invite me back and ultimately extend a bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHomeStL View Post
BUT - I think that there may be a much larger number of girls dropping out of recruitment altogether once they get their invitations back and can’t understand why they were dropped from 50% of the chapters based on an intro video they turned in and haven’t actually met any of those “mid-tier” or WRCs in person.
I agree with Carnation that many girls don't understand how cuts (as we called them) work after the first round and they can be severe from the larger, most popular houses. That said, I think many girls may drop for the reasons you point out. I also think virtual rush could help the girls who are overwhelmed by the noise, tent talk and crowds - they could shine in the virtual setting so we could see more of that personality making it through than in previous times.

Last edited by NYCMS; 07-05-2020 at 12:18 PM.