Thread: Atheists?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I guess this counts as Recruitment. Does anyone know if there is a list of which fraternities and sororities require belief in a supreme being vs. which allow atheists to be members?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Seeing as one of the "off limits" topics during recruitment is religion, I cannot imagine how this would even normally come up. (don't talk about the Bs- boys, booze, or bibles). I guess a PNM could volunteer the info in relation to a club or group they were involved in, but it wouldn't be a standard question.
Exactly. The president of Hillel will more than likely mention her leadership skills/position when she's a PNM, but the topic of her religion isn't dwelled upon by a chapter as a membership deal maker/breaker.

And I certainly hope atheists don't start begging the question of exclusion by NPC groups, since inclusive clauses specifically welcoming atheists aren't normally in sorority constitutions/bylaws. A more general inclusion clause, without specifically naming atheists or any other marginalized group, is more common.

Last edited by Cheerio; 03-19-2021 at 02:27 PM.