View Single Post
Old 05-02-2023, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I have taught students who identified as transgender for many, many years. And at least 90% of them have gone back to their birth gender...all I can figure out is that the grass wasn't greener on the other side or the whole thing was for attention (now people will notice me, how can I piss off my parents, etc.) This is why I don't put much stock in statistics about increasing numbers.
While I agree that many will likely revert to their birth gender, there are numerous scenarios that will need to be addressed. After all, the person no longer satisfies the initial membership requirement of being or identifying as the correct sex for that organization, but the person was promised lifetime membership.

What happens to the membership of the now previous transgendered person if the reversion occurs after initiation into the now opposite gendered sorority or fraternity? If the person remains a member, how does that affect the sister- or brotherhood dynamic, living arrangements, etc? If the reversion occurs after becoming a new member (pledge), but before becoming an initiated member, then how should the chapters and national organizations handle? Can a bid be revoked in this scenario? Or, if the reversion happens after graduation, should the national organization turn a blind eye? For this last question, I suspect that the willful blind eye is the current answer, but someone please speak up if you know differently. Also, I think it is safe to say that a blind eye does not work in the collegiate space.