View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

First, YES! Rush has changed a ton in the last 40 years - resulting in a larger, more inclusive sorority system with larger pledge classes and many more amazing sorority women joining our orgs!!

When I went through rush right before RFM started on my campus, the most selective houses invited almost everyone back all week so that the PNM’s would drop other houses. Then there would be a bloodbath of cuts on the morning of Pref as the top houses would get their list down to the 50 girls they really wanted….so many girls without bids. Now, PNM’s have a realistic list of chapters who actually ARE interested in them very early so they can really get to know those chapters instead of dreaming of ones where they have no hope getting a bid. Also bids are now guaranteed for girls who “maximize” their options at Pref and don’t suicide - no more cross cutting! My campus had 4 chapters leave due to small numbers in the decade before RFM was implemented. That campus hasn’t lost one chapter since - and has successfully added 3 or 4 more. All are healthy and thriving and the one or two that miss quota are still getting 50-70 new members, not 5. That is proof the current system is a huge improvement!

But also some things are still the same like the reputation some chapters have for “zip coding” or some high schools’ graduates having a “top 3 or transfer” mentality. Prudence MacIntosh wrote the infamous Texas Monthly article about UT rush in the 1970’s…so yeah, those rumors of wanting to pledge their hometown or first semester friends are NOTHING NEW.

Honestly, it sounds like your DD had a bad Gamma Chi, whether she was poorly trained or just didn’t care to act Panhellenic, she was unprofessional and unhelpful in engaging in “tent talk” and rumors with your DD and her friends.

Last edited by TXDG; 02-22-2022 at 02:58 PM.