View Single Post
Old 04-24-2022, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Being relatively close to a lot of Gen Zs at home and at work, I would say that we were far more "about me" than they are. We worked a job that gave us a good salary and whether we liked it or not was not important, leaving many of us horribly burned out and cynical. Gen Zs are doing things that MATTER regardless of pay. I don't see that as selfish- I see it as quite the opposite. They want to work for companies who are doing things to better the world, non-profits, etc. over big corporate conglomerations who are only there to make rich people richer. They are not afraid to break out of traditional work situations to start their own businesses and give themselves flexibility so they have time to do volunteer work or spend time with their families. I think they are much healthier.

Back to the other topic though- I think COB is more acceptable because they are re-setting Total after every formal recruitment and more chapters are below that Total as a result. There were campuses I worked with (including my own) who NEVER changed Total so the big chapters stayed pretty big and the smaller chapters stayed small because they couldn't COB over certain numbers. Quota would be 15 and 3 chapters took 15 but the other 3 took less than 10 and they could never get to the 60 members the larger chapters had because the larger chapters insisted Total stay at 40. It was crazy. Re-setting Total every year helps that a lot.

Especially during the pandemic, I really have a hard time seeing what greek life is offering to young people that they can't get elsewhere. It's getting ridiculously expensive for kids who are already taking out a ton of student loans to be in school. The housing is significantly more expensive than other off campus housing options. There are so many student organizations and residential living options at a lot of campuses that don't carry the cost. We have to really figure out what young people are looking for from greek life these days.