View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

What Not to Say to a Released PNM

I think that every year I know more and more women who are released from recruitment. They tell me what their Gamma Chis have said to them and I would like to address this. If you're talking with a girl who's been dropped,

1. DO NOT, unless she asks, say, "You can always be in student government," (or Residence Hall Association or so forth). She does not want to hear that. She wants to be in a national sorority with letters, a big sister, football game seating blocks, you know what I mean. Don't offer her something unsatisfactory.

2. DO NOT say, "Oh well, Greek life isn't everything." You're Greek and that sounds horribly patronizing coming from you. Also, at some campuses that's a lie because Greek life is a huge part of campus life.

3. DO NOT be dishonest about her chances of getting a COB bid or succeeding in rush next year. If you go to a school where COBing isn't done and re-rushing sophomores are automatically cut, tell her the truth. She may want to transfer and y'know, that's okay. That's very common in the South when women are released. Don't make fun of her for it.

I don't intend for this to turn into a South-bashing thread. I'm posting this because if I can help at least one brokenhearted woman by shutting up some patronizing recruitment counselor, then I'll be satisfied.