View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieWashU View Post
There are a lot of DG chapters out there now that order leis from Hawaii for their PNMs to wear during the pref party and use in the pref ceremony. I am the ATC (Advisory Team Chair) for a DG chapter who just started using the lei ceremony last year. So the leis are ordered and delivered to the pref day party chair's house. She brings them to the DG house on the day of the party after storing them in her fridge, like she was supposed to.

We open the box and there are ice crystals on the leis b/c they were so cold. So we spread them out and try to let them warm up. They weren't completely warm or dry when the PNMs for the first party arrived. Our members, great troopers, wore the leis outside to greet the PNMs and then put the leis on the PNMs. At the end of the party, we took the leis back from the PNMs, and notices PURPLE OVAL STAINS from where the leis had rested on their clothes. To make it worse, Panhel at this school recommends that all PNMs wear light colors for prefs so they stand out from the members. So we marked the clothes, and the back of the necks, of our PNMs at our first pref party last year. Strangely enough, the majority of our pledge class (quota plus 1) came from that party.

This year we'll dry the leis a little earlier...

I was the Preference Chair my senior year and was determined to have orchid leis for the party. In previous years, the chapter had strung carnations together with dental floss. They looked good for about 20 minutes and then the flowers would slide down the floss and lump together at the bottom.

Fortunately one of my committee members worked for Conroy Flowers and was able to get us a great discount on the 40 plus leis we required.

I have to admit that I do miss the lei ceremony in 2024 and I'm a bit sad that it is no longer part of our preference.