View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

For all the moms and daughters hurting after recruitment

I never post but think this might be a more positive story especially for the moms who have wonderful daughters and things didn't work out as they planned. Others be advised that I will try to condense it, but it will probably be a snooze fest for you! Sending daughter off to an extremely challenging school, everyone has everything going for them or they don't get in! Talked her into rushing if nothing else to meet people, this was a few years ago and I still use old verbage so bear with me. Rush is fairly competitive, but nothing like ACC or SEC. We all know how we feel about our daughters so for the Moms you so get it. Her best friend from home is also going to the same college and both her parents went there. She is a wonderful girl and also a legacy to a great house. My daughter is a double legacy to another house on campus. Just an aside my daughter's best friend and parents ran into a couple and their daughter at check in--all of the parents are friends from the same school from long ago and the daughter is in my daughter's dorm. Best friend's parents say oh my gosh you are in the same dorm as our daughter's best friend, keep an eye out for her. Move in day and a darling girl from next door asks if we have a hammer, of course get talking to parents and connecting. Home friends come over to see my daughter's room and wouldn't you know, next door girl is the daughter of their friends from college days. The girls really hit it off. Now rush comes, best friend from home and girl next door have dream rushes, my daughter's was ok, but one house is really the one she wants. Her legacy house is not one she is interested in, but keeps going back. Mom puts kabash on that--if you're not interested, don't feel like you have to go back! Pref night they can go to three houses. They all went to three. The three girls have one house in common--best friend's legacy house, girl next door is another legacy to a great house and is a little undecided, but decides on the house all three have been to pref. They rank the same house as number 1. My daughter decides to suicide even though she has two others from which to choose (know this is so not pc correct, but can't remember what suiciding is called now) the house that all three of them have. At this point, I'm not advising daughter. They have to make their own choices! Bid morning, best friend and girl next door get the house, daughter doesn't--calls crying, said her Rho Chis cried when they told her no bid. Mom feels terrible cause I'm the one who encouraged her to rush! I know people here say no snap bids when you do what she did, but she got two, Rho Chis' sororities. She didn't accept. Mom says you will be fine and just get invoved in other things. Honestly, she recovered much sooner and better than I did! This is already way too long so I will stop and continue later if anyone is interested--

Last edited by Hally; 08-25-2007 at 08:07 PM. Reason: mistake