View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Carnation: I really liked your post and I thought it was on the mark. One poster thought you were mad and while I agree there's an undercurrent of annoyance, I think it's very valid. Some of the remarks after an unpleasant rush experience ARE patronizing, even if not intended that way. And if an awareness of this stops even one person from hurting a PNM (even if unintentional) then I think it's a benefit.

And as a side note, my daughter thought about transferring after a bad rush experience. Her school is VERY greek and she knew that, on some level, she'd have to start all over socially. She felt that maybe she would be better off doing that at a large state school where if you weren't greek, at least there were 20,000 others like you instead of 500.

But she got some very wise words from her advisor who told her to ask herself these questions: was she running AWAY from something? or running TO something? If she was running away, she might be better served by staying and learning from it and fighting through it. And ultimately, that is what she chose. It is not always easy, however, to hold your head up high when you are hurt and feel rejected. I give my daughter the utmost respect for having the class and dignity to hold her head up in the face of an adverse situation - which in many cases, a rush rejection is - particularly at some schools (and I don't mean just the big southern ones).