View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

A few years back I was a groomsman in a Brother's wedding. He was getting married in a formal ceremony at the bride's church in a very traditional Southern city.
The rehearsal went fine, the rehearsal dinner and cocktail party went fine, and then the wedding itself ...
We were in the sacristy up front and the bridal party was in the vestry room at the entrance. As the musical prelude was about to start the organist sent a note back to check if the songs on her list were the right ones. The maid of honor looked at the list and said yes those were what the bride wanted. The groom and party were supposed to take up positions after the third piece was played. So far so good. Then we were to come out of the sacristy and stand by waiting at the start of the fourth song. At that point the organist played "Bitter Foresight". Huh??
Then the bridesmaids started up the aisle to the "Funeral March of a Marionette", Huh again!, and when the bride appeared to begin her walk to the altar the organist played "The Queen of the Dead". Say what!?! Needless to say we were a tad bit confused, but the ceremony went well enough despite the barely surpressed annoyance of the bride. However, as we recessed out the organist played the "Dead March from Saul"!!! The bride was ready to shoot the organist on sight but she showed the list to the bride and pointed out that she thought these were odd choices and asked if these were the right songs. The maid of honor had confirmed the list so the bride was now looking for her scalp. The groom and his group were falling down laughing and the bride was seriously wanting to commit murder. We then noticed that the maid of honor had vanished, but tucked under the groom's car's windscreen wiper was a note to the bride which said "now we are even, b***h."
The groom tried his best to soothe his bride's rage and she was in reasonable shape for the reception but her mother was grim faced and seething and her father looked as though he wanted to murder the maid of honor's parents. They, incidentally, were really horrified and left after a quick and confused apology.
As far as I know to this day the bride never again spoke to her maid of honor and still says she hasn't a clue why or what caused this "sisterly gesture".

I have seen a couple of disasters and "practical jokes" at weddings, but I think this one takes the prize.