View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to brunetteddd
At my school, you go to up to 2 sororities for Pref Round. That being said, when you rank on your bid card, you can technically put down all 4 sororities on campus (but that's only if you were invited back to all 4 at one point and declined the other 2 "with interest"). We rank these on our own time in relative privacy, but are allowed to consult with our Gamma Chi (or another Gamma Chi, because as we all know, sometimes there's one that you get along better with than your own, in my case, the Gamma Chi my roommate was assigned to sorta took me under her wing due to my own GC being a little over scheduled and had little time for her GC group; but I digress).

On Bid Day, we wait in a room and are lined up alphabetically by GC group. You're called out into a hallway one by one, and in said hallway you're handed your bid card by someone in Panhellenic Council. You open it, read it, they ask you if you accept, and then a) if you do, you immediately run out to your new sisters, b) if you don't, you leave through the back, and c) if you need more time, you can step aside and think about it "in privacy" (which I stress isn't very private, you just sorta stand off to one side of the hallway).

I think it's a relatively good process, the only thing is that it all happens so fast that you really don't have time to mentally process what's happened in the way of bids that were extended to you. From my experience, I had a hard time with ranking my #1 and #2; I ended up only getting a bid from one of them (which I had ranked #2). But looking back on it, I am EXTREMELY happy that it turned out the way it did; I love my sisters and, looking at the other sorority I had ranked on my card, I know things for sure worked out for the best for me (I loved alot of the older girls in that sorority, but I feel like I would have had difficulties fitting in with the pledge class I would have been a part of).

So the long and short of it - even if you don't get your #1, at least try it out for the pledge period. You may find that you are really in the right place, and if not, you don't have to become a fully initiated member.