View Single Post
Old 07-30-2023, 11:41 PM

There will be no li’l 33 going through rush, so I’m in a different boat than many of you, but I’m also annoyed that my group has gotten rid of our legacy policy as well. It also seems to have been extremely performative. We are not at any of the SEC schools with thousands of rushees and hundreds of legacies; it is simply not an issue for us. Yet when the legacy policy was gotten rid of (a week after our national convention, where the issue had not been brought up or discussed by the voting body), we had a thread on our official fb page filled with National volunteers saying things like we had one of the strictest policies (blatantly untrue), some chapters didn’t get to choose (also untrue) and that honoring legacies caused hazing (whaaaat?).

As I said in a previous thread, this would have all went over better if the groups would have said, “Do the math. These groups are all 100-150 years old and the amount of legacies has increased exponentially. Our policies were written when the alumnae numbers were much smaller, and they need to change so the current chapter women are allocated more autonomy in choosing their sisters.” I think everyone could have put themselves back into that college level situation and understood. Instead it was turned into something it was not proved that it was going to help. Don’t forget that all this happened DURING COVID when in effect the entire country was bat shit crazy and nothing was normal - not a time when things that many members looked on as cornerstones should have been pulled out from under.

Most of my college friends who have daughters who pledged, did not end up with a daughter in the same sorority even if their group was on campus. They are all fine with that. This isn’t about that. This is about changing things in a manner that even if you can (according to your bylaws/constitution) doesn’t mean you should.