View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I would say that the only thing that has changed in 20 years is that it seems to be less embarrassing to COB. Lately, I've noticed that several chapters who never would have done so years ago are picking up COB members and announcing it on Instagram, to the point that I might advise women who drop out of recruitment to sign up for COB. Their options would be a lot wider than they were at the end of formal recruitment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
This. I, too, have noticed many more chapters announcing COB classes, instead of being so hush-hush about it, as was done in the past. I still advise PNMs to attend all parties through preference round, and THEN, if they could truly not see themselves in their remaining choices, remove themselves from rush.
Having studied Gen Z extensively, this doesn't surprise me at all.

I clearly couldnt post all the resources that will tell you everything you need to know about this generation, but this is a start:

https://blog.phiredup.com/recruiting...sorority-life/

Based on the overall timing and circumstances of when they grew up, they're tech-savvy, looking for a cause to support, careful with how and on what they spend their money, and they're yearning for meaningful connections.

Those last two points are important, and it doesn't appear nowadays that a portion of potential members are willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on an organization when they've only had a few 30-min conversations with a handful of sisters they were paired with randomly.

That's not to say we should shut the entire system down as we know it, but it seems more recently there are a lot more women who are looking for the more personal connection one gets through COB.

In general, members of Gen Z want less structure and conformity, but they're looking for a sense of community. They prefer individual tasks and learning but want to avoid isolation. They're entrepreneurial and want to invest in things they deem worthy. They want a "work-life balance." They're not looking for recognition and accolades but for meaning in what they do.

How does sorority life cater to all of this, and how does it push away the new members of today?

@~/~~~~