View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS View Post
These two posts (and the one by KSUViolet) hit close to what my original question was asking. Kind of in followup, if a girl "fails" at rush and drops out, what is her college experience like? If she has grown up being groomed to be greek, doesn't she feel absolutely lost in the college setting? For that matter, she has also forfeited alumni status/networks/activities for the rest of her life! (Again, this is a discussion about girls that have chosen to drop out with options left.) After reading this thread about the University of Texas:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=32105&page=4

it sounds like all UT houses are selective and few if any would have a "stigma" attached to them, although they all don't have cachet that some desire.

Certainly many--no most--collegians are not greek and have a great college experience with friend and parties and social networks etc. etc. I just wonder how successfully a girl, steeped in the expectation of being greek, transitions into a GDI college experience.
She most likely transfers to another school where Greek life isn't such a priority and does one of 2 things:

1) Pledges the sorority that was prestigious at her old school and spends the rest of her life trying to "pass." "I was a KKG at UT!" (She doesn't mention that it was UT - Tinier Campus.)

2) Gets involved in other things on campus and realizes Greek life really ISN'T the be all and end all.

I think it also has a lot to do with how her parents handle it - whether they support her or if they helimom her and make her feel like it's all her fault.