View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe this is just me, but I definitely would not want to talk to an alum if I was cut from all the sororities. I think that -- even if the sorority member got heavily cut during recruitment -- it would be hard to feel comforted by someone who's on the other side and has what I want. Sort of like getting dumped by a guy and then being forced to turn to comfort by his new girlfriend. How much comfort is it when the person you're talking to is a constant reminder of what you don't have? The last person I'd want to talk to right away would be someone in a sorority.

Ideally, I think that there would be two avenues of support for PNMs -- Rho Chis and a trained counselor. Somebody to talk to if you're really upset (like, the girls that get truly depressed), somebody to talk to if you're just a little disappointed. Somebody to talk to if you need to talk to a Greek, somebody to talk to who's removed from the whole situation. A counselor can deal with the emotional aspects while a Rho Chi can keep the girl informed on COB/informal rush and other possibilities. And ideally, both of these would be available for a while after rush, not just immediately after the cuts.