View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Speaking for Alpha Sigma Tau, our membership eligibility requirements currently read: "Membership in Alpha Sigma Tau is open to women and transgender persons who identify as women."

There are so many variations across organizations that there's really no way to say that a PNM would benefit from disclosing more information or disclosing less. Regardless, some chapter members are going to make their own assumptions and conclusions and base membership decisions based on those assumptions. That's just how it is sometimes.

To answer naraht's question, it really would come down to a question of what each national organization - and each chapter - is willing to accept. Membership selection is private, so we never really know why a PNM is selected or not.

Based on how you asked the question, I admittedly only thought about this in the sense of gender and religion (historically). But GPA is certainly a very good example of a similar situation where one org will bring a PNM through to the next round, and another won't.

All this being said, I would bet good money that all of our orgs currently have at least one transgender and one non-binary member, regardless of national policy.
Thank you very much for your response. Oddly while I expect that while each NPC sorority has at least one transgender and one non-binary, I would *not* expect the same of the NIC. (At least one of the newer members of the NPC is sufficiently religious that I think it more likely that they don't)