View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Agree that Panhellenic should have someone (several) available. The answer has always been the Rho Chi's will talk with the released PNM. Which is great, but they are always busy with all the other PNM's. The absolutely worst story I was involved in was at a school with deferred recruitment, pref day Saturday and Bid Day Sunday, with all campus returning, if I recall on a Monday for school back in session on Tuesday this particular year. No one, not one soul, let the PNM know that she had did not receive one inviation to pref day. All PNM's woke up, got dressed for pref, went to pick up their invitations, her envelope was empty. (And she had gone to the maximum amount of parties the day before!) Not one panhellenic person spoke with her, parties were starting immediately, so she ended up leaving the large area and walking back alone, all dressed up, to an empty dorm. She was a legacy to a GLO that dropped her after open house. Needless to say the mother hopped in the car to drive the 6 hours to campus, the aunt and cousin from 8 states away were trying --- unsuccessfully to call Panhellenic. I was trying to call panhellenic (I'm 4 hours away); then tried to reach the Dean of Women ---it's a Saturday and school is not back! I asked if I could call the health center, but the mother told me not to. Churches, anything! We were just trying to find someone to be with her! Finally, Panhellenic returned the calls and her Rho Chi was on her way over. Needless to say the Rho Chi and the mother arrived within 5 minutes of each other. I think this is about 6 p.m. This PNM sat in an empty dorm room on the cell phone with relatives trying to keep her spirits up for over 8 hours! She was going to transfer, but the Rho Chi, over the course of that evening in 2 separate visits and a visit on Sunday encouraged the PNM to stay at school. Mom stayed for 2 days too. She finished the semester and is still at the school, but not in a GLO.
So, moral of the story. 1. They should have caught the no invite envelope. 2. Panhellenic should always have someone manning the phones, even if it goes to voice mail first and someone immediately goes thru the most urgent messages first. I know each house has hard working and over worked alumnae, but there has to be one that can take those phone calls.
Letters explaining the entire situation were written by the mother to the Dean of Students, the President of the University and the Panhellenic/Greek Life with pleas that this never happen again to another PNM. No one should be left alone!
So I guess I am as frustrated with this, as carnation was in her initial post.