View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bellwisdom
I have two things are most meaningful to me after The Rituals, The Jordan Standard, The Spirit and Creed. The first is a speech given by our Brother Founder Issac M. Jordan:

"...It is much more important that we should have but few chapters and have them good ones, that we should have but few members and have them honorable ones, than to have many chapters or many members. The decadence of other societies can be traced to a violation of this principle, and to an ambition to have many chapters and a large membership. And let me here, as germane to this subject, give a word of advice and admonition to the members of every chapter. Whenever you find an unworthy member of our society, expel him at once and without hesitation. Evil communications corrupt good morals, and one dishonorable man will bring reproach and dishonor upon your chapter and upon the whole Fraternity...."

My Badge
I might be forced to admit that there is some similarity between the ideals of Sigma Chi and those of other fraternities but—
I will not share the beautiful and the symbolic supremacy of the White Cross of Sigma Chi with any other badge in the Greek World.
The badge of my Fraternity is a cross, a sign and a symbol known to all the world, uplifting Him of whom our badge reminds us.
It is not a shield of timid defense nor a drawn sword of oppressive aggression nor an arrow swift and sure on its mission of death.
It is not a diamond so rich and so rare as to have no part in the common crowd nor a crescent pale and incomplete nor a star shining with a borrowed ray.
It is not a lamp whose feeble flame is extinguished by the slightest gust of wind that blows; nor a simple monogram of mysterious Greek letters presuming to reveal some hidden meaning.
But a cross with its base planted in the common clay of earth; its arms outstretched to all the world and its head lifted heavenward.
It is a White Cross, suggesting purity. As any pure white surface reflects all the rays of light without the absorption of any, so the White Cross of Sigma Chi reflects its ideals unselfishly to all Mankind