View Single Post
Old 10-22-2002, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzrose93

It's common knowledge that if someone has a bad experience somewhere, that they will usually mention that experience to an average of 6 people. Knowing that, I would MUCH rather let a girl down easy by being polite and showing some couth than to look her dead in the eye and say, "Your reputation as a slut precedes you, and we don't want that in our organization." Saying that not only embarrasses her, but it also would make you look like a cold-hearted b*tch. At least by being polite, you don't provide the rushee with any nasty stories to spread around about how rude and snobby XYZ sorority members are -- and you don't make the girl herself feel like a second-class citizen whenever she runs into one of your sisters on campus.

Being polite does not equate to being "two-faced." I don't know how your organization works, but in mine there is silent voting -- which means that if a girl isn't extended a bid, then it's a strong possibility that many of the chapter members won't know why. Only the nominating committee really knows for sure, and they are not allowed to talk about any negative votes. So, it would not be two-faced for a sister to say that she doesn't know the reason for a rushee not getting a bid, and it would not be "bogus" for her to continue being polite to that rushee in the future. Not all rushees have the qualities that a sorority is looking for in a new member, but that doesn't mean that the girls can't be friendly to each other outside the chapter.
being polite is all fine and dandy, but if you don't tell her what's wrong with her, how is she going to fix it? are you just going to let her continue to be at fault? if i don't like someone, i'll be cordial, but i'm not going to pretend like i like them. who care's if someone see's you as a cold hearted b*tch? if that's what they think fine, it's whatever. people's opinion of me matters really doesn't matter. if they're really going to base their opinion of me on what i said to someone i don't like, cool. if she's going to harp about being rejected and not put it past her, then she really is a weak willed person. but then again, NPHC groups really don't have to worry about things you guys do.

Last edited by starang21; 10-22-2002 at 01:03 PM.