View Single Post
Old 10-22-2002, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

arrowgirl-
Yeah the thread is crappy, but I want you to know that I (and my chapter) *always* error on the side of giving someone a chance. However, we've had lots of problems with it! We have a hard time with attendance since we extend bids to girls who aren't gung-ho about a sorority (we think we can change their minds, but they go back to boyfriends and studying anyway). We've had bad publicity from the behavior of other pledges, and have had internal arguements and problems due to the rude behavior of another.

I am saying, because of these bad events, I advocate selection! Every GLO is based on selection, and I think it has a good purpose. Selection is not just picking out the good, but trying to identify people who would not be good memebrs of an org. Identifying people who would not be good fits is much harder than identifying people you think would really add soemthing to your group. Obviously you don't know people from a 30 min conversation, but I think it is a good idea to try and use sisters' knowledge of PNM's behavior outside the rush room as part of the process. That's what recs are about! And if you know someone is unstable, or a liar or habitually behaves in an inappropriate fashion, chances are they'll do that in your org too. Anway, you can say I'm a bitch for it, but if your in an org, you do it too.
-M