View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I'm disappointed about skits being taken out. They're fun and light. And as was mentioned, a good break from the monotony of constant talking and shouting over everyone and losing your voice.

I agree about the philanthropy craft. Hate it. Pointless, waste of time, energy and money. And many chapters throw their 'crafts' out.
I'll preface my comments by saying that I COB'd at a school that only held informal recruitment (when I joined back in 2004). However...

I understand both sides: not wanting skits/crafts because they're lame and a lot of work, but also wanting to break up recruitment week with a day where you don't need to start a conversation with "What's your major?" and hope it takes off from there.

I'm not saying this would work at every school, but... what about a game night? It could be board games, or larger group games. I went to an insurance industry Christmas party this past year for work, we did something similar, and it was a ton of fun. We had 8 groups of 6-7 people (all of us being randomly put together from different insurance carriers and agencies so we had to make new friends), and all the teams competed against each other in quick little games. Most of the challenges were simple, too (in that there was little to no prep, and they required few materials). At one point, each person was given an Oreo cookie, you had to put it on your forehead, and when someone yelled 'go!', without using your hands, everyone had to try to move the cookie down their faces and into their mouths. First team to eat all of their cookies was the winner.

Interestingly, things like that can also show you who is really supportive, who is competitive, who is impatient... and who is downright mean. I didn't really come across the impatient and mean people when I did this, but ya never know!

@~/~~~~