View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

longhrn_cutie18's University of Texas at Austin 2005 Rush Story

I'm from a small town in Idaho near Boise, and most people from ANY high school in Idaho go to either Boise State, University of Idaho, WSU or Idaho State. So when I tell people I'm going to the University of Texas at Austin, they look confused and say "Why?"

Why am I going to UT?
Before visiting the UT campus, I'd never been to Texas or the south at all. I am originally from San Diego and moved to Idaho when I was 7. My boyfriend of more than 2 and 1/2 years went to UT to be on the swim team just before my junior year of high school. We'd never expected that I would even consider Texas until I started looking at colleges. Among my other college choices were NYU, Rutgers, Vassar, Univ. of Georgia, and UCLA. I never wanted to stay in-state for some reason. I'd be lying if I said that part of the reason I chose UT wasn't in some way because my boyfriend. Anyone who has been in a long-distance relationship with someone for 2 years could understand. I also chose UT because I fell in love with Austin and its culture. I loved the UT campus and the people I met. And I loved the fact that I'd be experiencing what college life really is...the football games, school spirit, parties, Greek life, and maybe a little education as well

After all the cutthroat horror stories about rushing at huge schools like UT, why would I still want to rush?
I've heard so much good and bad about Greek life (not just at UT) that there comes a point where you have to kind of choose what you're going to believe and take everything with a grain of salt. Also, there's good and bad points about everything, so I don't expect my experience through rush to be any different! I'll admit that Im going into this a little clueless and with barely an idea of what everything is going to be like, but that's why I'm writing this!

I'm a pretty shy girl when I first meet people, which will probably be my biggest admitted weakness throughout this process, but I'll do my best to overcome that in the next 32 days (rush starts August 24 for me). As far as trying to stand out among 1000 other girls, (I'm not the daughter of a celebrity or political leader, and I don't get an allowance of $100000000 each week), but I have a feeling I'll come to be known as the "Idaho girl" if anything! So wish me luck, and if you have any advice, I'm completely open!

Until next time...hook 'em horns!

Longhrn_cutie18