View Single Post
Old 07-29-2023, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That verbiage isn't originally mine, but from a wonderful book called Something In The Wind by Lee Smith. The main character is (on paper) a perfect Southern belle but she's really not feeling it.

And along those lines, a lot of people confuse proximity with popularity. Yeah, maybe you always got invited to things because your parents had either the money or connections to get you into the right camp/school/dance lessons etc. Maybe you were truly invited for you, but maybe it was because Susie's parents told her she HAD to invite you because Susie's mom and your mom were on a charity ball committee together and Susie's mom didn't want to have to explain why Susie blew you off. Or maybe you were just there and no one thought about you one way or the other. In this age where everyone is told they're special, it's even more of a wrench when you find out you're ordinary. I guess I should rephrase that. Everyone does have something that they can be special at, but sometimes it takes a lifetime to get into the framework where you can find out what it is.
33, did you ever read any books by Florence King? Usually told in the first person, she is at a party where she is (purposely) not living up to Belle Standards. The hostess tells her that she's offended Susie Snob, and "mention that you're an Upton!" Florence walks by Susie Snob and stage whispers, "My mother was an Upton" to which SS says something to the effect that "MOST of the Uptons are quite honorable."