View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
I believe (ZTAngel, Sherbertlemons, please correct me if I'm wrong) that our quota was determined solely by dividing the number of PNM's who were invited to prefs by the number of sororities. Thus if 500 women were invited back to prefs, and there are 10 sororities, quota was set at 50.

Now, of course UCF hasn't seen a quota that low since 1995... but you get my drift.

It's interesting to read what others have to say about the "pecking order." I think it exists, at some level, at UCF, but we have this marvelous cycling in and out of the perceived chapter rankings, mainly due to a huge amount of sorority expansion in a very short time. I think also, as the Greek System has grown at the university, you've seen a certain level of exclusivity go up a notch.
I think that's correct. UCF has a pretty high placement rate. Most of our PNMs will get one of their top three choices. If not, the chapters that don't make quota are eligible to snap bid.

"Pecking order" certainly exists at UCF but it has changed a lot since I went through rush. Although the "top sororities" are still regarded as being excellent chapters, some of the chapters that were considered "weaker" when I went through rush are now some of the best. I'm sure adpiucf and sherbetlemons would agree but the reason some of the sororities stay in their top position is because of the housing situation. Many PNMs prefer a chapter that has a house on campus and this hurts the 4 sororities (well...5 in the Fall) that do not have a house on Greek Park. They're supposed to start constructing Greek Village sometime this Fall from what I hear and I think this will definitely up the ante.