View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Based on speaking with several Cornell alums, the recruitment is competitive and connections are important but comparing it with recruitment at Southern schools like Bama, Auburn and UT, it's a different competitiveness.

Recs don't seem to be as big of a deal, nor does being a legacy or if your went to a particular summer camp. This might be because it is not a state school and the student body is not overwhelmingly from one or two states. Since recruitment is in the Winter rather than Fall, PNMs have the chance to prove themselves as their own person rather than what high school they attended.

Also, these are some of the brightest students in the country. When recruiting as actives, they are really interested in what PNMs want to do with their life and they don't mean joining Junior League. Many freshman know exactly what they want to do. They don't just say "law school", they will say, "Immigration law on the Texas border working people escaping gang violence". Many of PNMs have visions of Wall Street so they will talk about Investment Banking or commodities trading.

Happy to hear your DD found her home and I always enjoy hearing of experiences of Ivy League schools that aren't having difficulties with their Greek System. I can't comment on the Fraternity side since the men I know that attended Cornell did not join the Greek System.