View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
The bolded is my point. When you are going through recruitment with low grades, you are going to be limited.

If you don't care how many options you have, then go you.

However, I feel like every PNM needs to put themselves in the BEST position to maximize their options. Your GPA has the power to take chapter's off the table before you even start. Why do that to yourself? You basically shoot yourself in the foot before recruitment starts.

Ex: Let's say there are 5 chapters on campus. Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Kappa, Delta.

Alpha and Beta's GPA is a 3.5
Gamma is a 3.2
Kappa is a 3.0.
Delta is a 2.85.

If you have a 3.6, your grades are golden for every chapter. Are those a 4.0? No but you put yourself in the best spot to be able to consider everyone. Even if they cut you down the line, at least you are not getting cut on day one due to grades and you have the opportunity to meet everyone.

If you have a 3.1, can you still get a bid? Sure. You still have grades for Kappa and Delta, but you just limited your pool by 2 chapters.

5 options > being automatically limited to 2.

Sidenote: I don't know what school you're at but grades matter for spring recruitment as well. I've worked with collegiate chapters of my sorority at a number of schools and the GPA is still a requirement even during smaller spring recruitment. My chapters were not permitted to bid anyone below the minimum at any time.

You may have been a rare exception. Which is why I responded to this. Sure it is great you got a bid with a subpar GPA but I definitely do not want any PNMs thinking this happens all the time, you know?

Yes! I was recently at our Convention and I am routinely impressed with how high some of the HS GPA requirements are on our campuses.
I agree with everything you're saying, I think we're just making different points. I think girls are more likely to go into recruitment overly discouraged than overly confident, so if what you meant is that mediocre grades merely limit your options rather than obliterate them, than the thread title should've been less decisive or should've just focused on low grades. There's nothing a PNM can do about their grades at this point anyway, so i'm just trying to highlight how it's still worth trying provided they keep their expectations realistic and work on other important elements of the process.

I go to a SEC school with has a large, competitive Greek system. Arguably one of the better and more competitive ones in the country. Just as you wouldn't want PNM's to think my situation happens all the time, I don't want a PNM to think they are going to get released from recruitment so it's not even worth a shot anyway.

I understand where you are coming from though, I'm sure there's a lot of posts on here about "chances" with low gpa's from people not understanding the importance of grades in the process whatsoever, and that probably gets annoying. But I am just trying to speak encouragingly on the matter as someone who has been in the recruitment process recently.

Sorry if I implied grades don't matter in spring recruitment. What I meant was, because of the length and casual atmosphere of the parties, you get to meet more members and know them more than during a typical first day ice water round, where the low grade girls would be likely to experience heavy cuts. They have a better chance on making an impression that can help overcome a grade deficit.