View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGreekMom View Post
This is very astute. I live in a Texas suburb that is known for its new money. I know a lot of kids from the area who didn't really understand before leaving home that there was even a distinction.

It's the difference between wanting to buy all the Kiel James Patrick bracelets... and taking sailing lessons.
Great observation. I see this too. I'm in a position where I work with old money people, new money people and middle class people (I belong to the last category) and you are exactly right. Growing up in middle class suburbs in the 70's/80's, I had no idea about how other people lived. I knew some people had more and some had less (thanks to John Hughes films) but it wasn't that different from me. Then I went off to a college that had mostly middle class kids some "new money" and I realized there was another world out there. Now, in my current job, I see extreme wealth that has been in families for generations. It's been very interesting to observe the unwritten social rules of all three income levels. All three income levels are made up of wonderful people and some not so wonderful people.

With social media, I think high school and college students are so much more aware of class divisions but might not know where they fit in exactly.