View Single Post
Old 07-30-2023, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it really depends on the situation.

Situation 1: You get a bid from a house that isn't your top choice, but you enjoyed your time with them during recruitment. You didn't dislike this chapter or feel uncomfortable there, you just preferred others. You could see yourself being friends with the women in this chapter and with the women in your rush group who love this chapter. In this case, I think it's better to accept the bid.

Situation 2: You maximized your options, but the only houses you were invited back to are houses you consistently ranked at the bottom of your list and did not want to return to. You genuinely feel that you don't fit in with these women or the other women who are returning to their parties and love this group. You don't feel a connection to the chapter or to the national organization (philanthropy, legacy, etc.). The idea of being tied to this chapter upsets you. In this case, I believe it's better to go GDI.

Personally, I think it's better for both parties if a PNM chooses not to accept a bid than if she accepts a bid at a house she truly does not want to join. There's also a big difference in accepting a bid from a house that you liked but didn't love and accepting a bid from a house that you actively felt wasn't a fit. I also think before declining the bid, the PNM should consider whether there are other factors at play that might strengthen her connection to this chapter, even if she's not feeling it in the moment. For example: Are you a legacy? Do you have a lot of friends in this sorority at other schools? Do you love their philanthropy? Are they a strong national organization with a lot of opportunities for alumni involvement?