View Single Post
Old 10-02-2002, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
quota does matter

due to basically fraternity crap-talking (not even from all frat chapters), my sorority has struggled to make quota in the past. the campus stereotype of us is of a very diverse group of intellectual women. we suffer because guys tell freshmen we do not go out to parties. (which is SO untrue!). so this year we are making an extra effort, so hopefully, it will pay off. (we have winter rush). but i must say that i think not making quota hurts us. last year quota was 38 and we took only 21. with COB, we brought it up to 23. but i think people see confirmation of our supposed "uncoolness" in our low numbers. but in reality, we're cool, but freshmen have such a negative stereotype that often many of the women we've been looking at withdraw rather than pledge, when they would have made a great addition to our sisterhood. i know about 10 women who *could* have been in my pledge class, if they just hadn't withdrawn! that would have brought us almost to quota... anyway, i think on our campus, where we are the only house not making quota (which of course is printed up in the paper after bid night, being a predominantly greek campus) people look at quota as an extension of our reputation... when in reality, we're a lot of fun, and people are just scared to pledge! *sigh* coming from my perspective, quota is really, really, really important--of course, i would rather go under quota that take women we don't think would work in our sisterhood, but this year i want quota so bad i can taste it..... plus, on our small campus, if you don't make quota for several years, you have fewer people to conduct rush and meet freshmen in the coming years.... i guess it depends on your campus and chapter, though!